Welcome to Hipforums!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Welcome to Hipforums!

roasting a chicken (recipe)

quinine
    quinine
    Talking Monk

roasting a chicken (recipe) Empty roasting a chicken (recipe)

Post  quinine Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:06 am

this is as much for me as anyone else. new recipe i'm trying/creating as we speak. this is so i remember better what i did - i'll post with results later

ingredients:
    1 chicken
    1 lemon
    1 generous sprig of fresh rosemary
    2 leaves fresh basil
    1 bay leaf
    3 cloves of garlic
    oil
    black pepper
    salt
    sugar
    celery seed

Clean the chicken in cool tap water inside and out, pat dry with paper towel. If giblets are included, remove and discard or use for other purposes. Quarter the lemon, and slightly rasp the peel from two quarters to help release the oils and flavors better. Lightly squeeze to release a little juice. Crush two cloves of garlic, and place the two lemon wedges, the two cloves of garlic, the two basil leaves and the bay leaf inside the cavity of the chicken. Rub the chicken all over with a small amount of oil to coat the skin. Place the chicken in the roasting pan and cover with the leaves from the rosemary. Apply black pepper generously, and salt to taste. Squeeze just a few drops of lemon juice onto the skin, and sprinkle just a touch of celery seed over the bird. Cover loosely with foil and roast at 375 degrees farenheit.

While the bird begins to cook, crush the remaining clove of garlic and set in a small dish with approximately a tablespoon of oil. Squeeze the juice of the remaining half of a lemon and mix with the garlic and oil. Add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and 1 teaspoon salt, and stir well. Set aside for later.

When half an hour of cooking time remains, remove and discard the foil. Remove any excessive liquid in the pan. Baste liberally with the previously made mixture, and return to the oven for last half hour of cooking, uncovered.

Allow to sit for fifteen minutes after removing from oven to allow the meat to relax and reabsorb some of the juices before serving.